The Lawrence Woodmere Academy Upper School, grades 9 through 12, seeks to educate students for full and active participation in the world of ideas where they are globally responsible problem-solvers, flexible and creative.
We have a demanding college-preparatory curriculum, a robust advisory program, exceptional college guidance, and a wide variety of athletic, club, and arts opportunities.
Our Upper School also offers content-area ESL courses for talented international students who come to the United States, to prepare them for mainstream classes.
- Global Studies
- Advanced Placement classes
- Global Scholar Certificate
- Globally infused curriculum
- Electives in Art, Drama, Technology
School spirit is evident in the variety of clubs at LWA and the breadth of participation by our students. Upper School clubs meet during lunch, recess, or last period of the day, so that every student has an opportunity to be involved.Read More
Current Upper School clubs include:
- Global Awareness Club
- Dance Club
- Drama Club
- French Club
- Italian Club
- Math Team
- Mock Trial
- Model United Nations
- Multicultural Club
- Peer Leadership
* New clubs are added whenever students express interest.
The service learning program at Lawrence Woodmere Academy spans all three divisions, providing our students with many opportunities to demonstrate servitium — as our school motto suggests.Read More
Recent Upper School service learning efforts include:
- Food and Clothing Drives
- Holiday Gift Wrapping
- Oral History Projects
- Peer & Lower School Tutoring
These consciousness-raising initiatives are supported through the activities of student clubs and are woven into the fabric of the school’s daily life. Our goal is to graduate students who will make community service a lifelong commitment.
Sophomores participate in an overnight trip to Manhattan where they learn about homelessness, and spend a day volunteering at sites throughout the city through the Youth Services Opportunities Project (YSOP). Other service learning projects include a public awareness campaign regarding texting while driving, and an oral history project about Holocaust survivors.
At Lawrence Woodmere Academy, students learn in many settings and structures.
Our class trips encompass all types of learning — from math and science trips to cultural outings –and include local destinations, some of Manhattan’s greatest assets, and other educational destinations both in the United States and around the world.Read More
- Participation in programs such as Princeton Model United Nations enable our students to learn with students from other schools.
- New York City is frequently the destination for special day trips, which may include attending Broadway theatrical productions, museums, ethnic restaurants, and other settings for experiential learning.
- Day-long Global Concerns Summit with other high schools in New York City
- Students who participate in the LWA mock trial program compete at the offices of the Nassau County Bar Association.
- A significant number of our music students participate in all-county bands and choruses for Nassau County.
- LWA participates in a French student exchange program, allowing students from France to stay with LWA families, and LWA students to study abroad.
- One third of the Upper School traveled to Spain. Many service learning trips abroad are planned for the future.
All of these situations enhance the learning experience for students throughout the school year, well beyond the classroom walls.